Current Traffic

Saturday 11 July 2020

Post 728 - Slim Dusty - Lights On The Hill - Redwing

This is the first recording of "Lights On The Hill" released in February 1972. I read somewhere a long time ago that Slim called this the Rock 'n' Roll version. A lot different than the 1975 version from the LP of the same name that's for sure. Joy McKean tells the fascinating story behind Lights On The Hill, She remembers that night in June 1971, leaving Tamworth for Warwick, and trucks coming over the hill blinding her with their high-beam.
"I realised I was at Devil's Pinch, a local name for the place where there is a drop down the mountain on one side of the narrow road," McKean said."I couldn't help wondering how long it would take for Slim to find me if I went over the edge."By the time she hit Warwick caravan park, she had the song in her head and Slim wanted to record it immediately. I remember the first time I heard this version was in 1972 when a guy that lived across from my Mum asked her when she went into town would she pick him up a copy of Slim Dusty's new single. I think he played it everyday at full volume for weeks but I must say I did like it and when the album of "Lights On The Hill" came out I was a little disappointed that the 1975 version was so different.
Now don't quote me but this single and it's B side "Lights On The Hill" b/w "Redwing" (DO-9836) I don't think has ever been released on an album or CD but not knowing all Slim's recordings I might be wrong, but I have done a bit of digging and I can't find this version on any Greatest hits ect ect. Flac

1 comment:

siveld said...

Thanks for this, mate!