Current Traffic

Saturday 21 September 2013

Post 469 - Little River Band - L.R.B. Rocks On For ANZ

This one sided 7” promotional single (played at 33 rpm) produced by the ANZ Bank around 1976. It is presented as though it is a radio program (stations 3XY / 2SM / 4IP get a mention). Little River Band perform two songs with lyrics about the services supplied by the ANZ. A tacky cross promotion LRB were roped in to doing to plug their "After Hours" album and up and coming Aussie talent while pushing the virtues of the ANZ bank. Probably the brainchild of some advertising execs as a way to encourage youth to open accounts with that bank. LRB's Glenn Shorrock and Beeb Birtles both sing  tracks about the ANZ Bank on this single. I also asked Beeb Birtles about this recording and this is what he told me....
Hi Garry,
All I can tell you is that when LRB first formed in 1975 we were all broke. We had just returned from England and went on the dole. To make some quick money we wrote and recorded some advertisements. The first one I wrote was for the Witchery chain and then we wrote some for the ANZ bank. I'm not sure why they pressed up singles of it.
Beeb.


1 comment:

AussieRock said...

An interesting Promo track Gary - thanks.

It just goes to show that the best bands can write anything.

Pity the music is interupted so much by the annoying DJ banter

Thanks for the opportunity to hear this nearly 40 years later. I wonder how much interest ($$$)I could have earn't if I'd started banking with the ANZ then, rather than now!